TOTAL TIME: 1,5 - 2 hours
Looking for a nice winter-warmer recipe? This potjie recipe is filled with flavour and sure to leave you going back for seconds!
How to cook it
Stewing lamb or beef(cut into chunks) approx. 1 kg
Fresh Veg : Cabbage chunks , thick sliced Baby Marrows, Broccoli Pieces, Chopped Peppers, whole button mushrooms 1-2 Carrots (orange list) OR sweet potato/pumpkin 200-300g.
1 teaspoon of crushed garlic
1 tsp Carbsmart Curry Spice
1 tsp Carbsmart BBQ spice
2 tbls Carbsmart Smokey BBQ
2 packets Carbsmart Beef & Veg Soup
Carbsmart Cold Pressed Oil apprx 4 tablespoons
1 Can chopped tomato
750 ml water
Salt & Pepper to taste.
- Season beef chunks with Carbsmart BBQ spice
- Add some Carbsmart cold pressed oil to your heated potjie pot, and seal your beef chunks.
- Once slightly sealed, add onion & stir around so the flavours combine and the onion starts to soften.
- Mix 2-3 cups boiled water, with CS Beef & veg soup, 2 tbls of CS Smokey BBQ sauce, 1 can of Chopped tomato, 1 tsp of Carbsmart Curry spice & chopped garlic – Add to potjie
- Cook for approx. 30- 45 min
- Layer your vegetables from the bottom of the pot on top of the meat with those which cook the fastest at the bottom to those that cook the quickest at the top Sweet Potato/pumpkin , Cabbage chunks, then Peppers , Broccoli , thick sliced Baby marrows & then whole mushrooms – add 1 cup boiling water over the top.
- Close lid & cook for another 45 Minutes – 60 Minutes
- Open lid & stir potjie to combine meat, sauce & veggies, simmer for water to reduce if necessary
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Serve with with Caulirice or cabbage Pap